Search This Blog

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Character Tuning

If you're like me, you like to listen to music while you write. Or you have songs pop into your head as you write a scene. Sometimes, it's a random song that you want to banish because it's ruining your concentration. But other times, somehow, that chorus or melody or a verse or even just a line just fits the scene perfectly, like it was meant to be. And that's a pretty cool moment for someone like me, who would wither and die without music and writing.

A habit I've recently gotten into (thanks in part to D&D and epic battle music when my character does something really cool) is finding theme songs for what I'm writing, like the theme in a movie for a specific character or situation. It helps me get a better feel for the scenes. And it really brings a character to life when you discover that one song on their fictional playlist that has some special meaning to them, or that describes them to a tee.

For example, the theme song for my naive, book-smart half-elf bard in my current D&D campaign is "Strangers Like Me" from Tarzan. Maybe that tells you something about the character. Or maybe you're rolling your eyes and thinking, this girl is such a dork. But that's just how it works sometimes. What's important is that it means something to you, the writer (or in this case, the player).

Now, this is by no means a requirement when you're writing. But it really does help, if you're in the mood, to discover that one song that describes your character perfectly—whether or not the other characters know it or not.

For instance, remember that story I'm writing about a boy whose dad died and the family moved? That boy's theme song is "I'd Come for You" by Nickelback. I don't know how or why, but somehow that song perfectly captures his angst and the relationship between Jon and his dad. The edgy Nickelback style and the lyrics work perfectly to bring Jon to life. And sometimes, hearing that song inspires me to write a new scene, or revise an old one to better capture Jon's character.

Whatever your music or writing preferences, there's something kind of magical about that moment when they both come together. One feeds the other and before you know it, your novel is finished and it has its own soundtrack!

So give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment